Mike and Charmaine Anderson

Mike and Charmaine Anderson

Saturday, November 30, 2013

A WEEK TO BE THANKFUL

I hope we never have to repeat the pace of this week.  After a big JAS activity on Friday night making Sharpie Tye Dye, we drove to Los Cristianos the next morning to be there for our JAS Luis, who received his mission call to Barcelona.  Then we took sister Nydegger and Phillips to lunch, fearing someone might leave this transfer, and it happened.  Sister Phillips went back to Madrid on Monday.  We cried a lot.  On Saturday night one of our JAS was baptized. I take cake for everyone when one of our JAS is baptized because I think it is important to have a social after and celebrate the event.

Our JAS group at Jorge's baptism.

Elder Christensen and Elder Eskelson taught Jorge after he requested missionaries from the internet.  I need to find out more of his story.


On Sunday the Mendoza family from the South came to dinner.  (I am not sure when I found time to cook).  Valerie is leaving for Utah in a week.  We have been helping her with her English for 6 months (3 by Skype)  She is enrolled in a 9 month English course at BYU.  We love their family dearly. When they left we went to Santa Cruz for FHE.


Then on Monday morning 3 of our island missionaries were flying back to Madrid as per transfers and the Missionaries wanted to get together, so I made breakfast for all of them.  I was on busy overload and forgot to take pictures.  Then we went to the airport and later picked up Sister Christian, who will be serving in Los Cristianos with sister Nydegger, and drove the two hours down and back. 

Then I started on Thanksgiving dinner.  We ordered roasted chickens from the African Market and I made stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a vegetable dish, fresh rolls, cranberry chutney, pumpkin pie, chocolate pie and a carrot apple cake with my Grandmother's vinegar dip (my favorite)  Mike brought us sunflowers from the African Market but my real sunflowers are sisters Judy and Money.

This is our new elder, Bohne with the food but not the deserts.

Ready to chow down.  The missionaries had to eat, visit a little, and head back to work. They don't get many holidays. We wanted the missionaries from the South to join us but couldn't get permission.  Then on Friday night we had a going away party for Alejandro, who is leaving for a mission to Mexico next week, but he was hung up in Madrid working on Visa problems and didn't arrive until 10:30 PM.  We played ping pong and games with the group but had to visit with him when he arrived, and so we didn't get home until after midnight.  Then the next morning we went to Institute at 9:00 AM.  I take a snack.  (Thank heaven for leftover carrot cake)  Today I spent most of the day napping and catching up on blogs.  Thank you dear Heavenly Father for the energy to do all I need and want to do and for the awesome people we get to be associated with here.  

And I didn't even mention 3 nights of English classes and District meeting.

 
Mike ordered this HLJ ring (Spanish CTR)  to present to Alejandro before leaving to Mexico.

6 comments:

  1. Charmaine, I was very tired after reading this entry. I believe good food (in good company) to be a gracious and important way to serve and cherish our fellow beings. You excel at this! All that feasting can be back-breaking work, and you do it oh so well with your tasty and gourmet touches. I am grateful that you celebrate each baptism with cake as well as fellowship. I know this is important, and I'm sure it is already noted and appreciated, but I also thank you on behalf of my brothers and sisters ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, Your generosity with words is always amazing to me. I have never known anyone quite as generous. Thanks for your example and for making me always feel good about my efforts by taking the time to say it. Blessings to you. Charmaine

      Delete
  2. Charmaine, this is Kris Harrop - Elder Harrop's mom. I was hoping you would relay a message to him from me if you can. :) I shipped his Christmas Package on Monday FedEx 2 day air. My cute neighbor has a connection and could ship it for me for 75% off. Anyhoo, it went through customs this morning and was rejected and it is getting sent back to me. Oh how I have cried this morning as it was the 12 days of Christmas and I have been working on it for weeks and weeks. I didn't send anything that I haven't already sent through the post office but they said since it had food it would not clear customs. I don't understand. Anyway, when it comes back, I will package it again and send it USPS instead. However, I am not sure it will get to him by Christmas. He knows it was sent this week and is expecting it today, tomorrow or Friday. I was hoping you would let him know that it is not coming this week and to please not worry about it and worry about watching for it. Oh how blessed I am to have you there and hope that giving him this info is not breaking any rules. :) I hope you are enjoying the Holidays there. Thanks again for supporting and keeping an eye on these wonderful YOUNG missionaries. BIG HUGS FROM UTAH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I am pleased to do anything the missionary parents need me to do. I have parents of the sisters up here send things to our address because we are home more. I just talked to Elder Harrop and he wants you to wait to talk to him on Monday before sending the package. He thinks he might get transferred and said it would be better not to have to carry anything back to Madrid. But if he is just going to eat it all maybe it shouldn't matter. Anyway, that is what he said and that he was fine with not getting it and not to worry. We are looking forward to the missionaries from the South coming for a Christmas devotional on Christmas Eve. We were disappointed about Thanksgiving because the Zone leader wouldn't let them come. I think he knew we weren't happy and is letting them come for Christmas. The sisters are going to stay over with us and we hope the Elders will stay with the Elders here and come for Christmas breakfast and play some games and have a little fun. Holidays are easier if we can be together. I know this is harder on you than Elder Harrop. He wasn't concerned.

      Delete
    2. This is my e-mail if that would be easier charmandy@comcast.net also we have our home phone number via internet Magic Jack 801-682-8864 if you needed to call to ask anything.

      Delete
    3. I just received a text from Elder Harrop saying to have you send it because he would get it before the transfer, which I think is good. He was having second thoughts about not getting it so go for it.

      Delete